Entering Determinations in Atrium™
3. Once you have selected the collection that needs annotation, select the “Make Determination” link at the bottom of the “Collection Data” page.
Note: You can switch between the “Collection Data” and “Collection Images” pages by selecting the appropriate tabs located in middle-upper section of the pages.
4. Select the new family name from the drop-down menu named “Family”.
Note: For indet families, select “FamIndet”.
5. Select the new generic epithet from the drop-down list named “Genus” If the name is not on the list, then enter it in the blank immediately to the right. If needed, type “cf.” after the name.
Note: For indet genera, select “GenIndet”.
6. Select the new specific epithet from the drop-down list labeled “Specific Epithet”. If the new name is not in the drop-down list, enter it into the field immediately to the right. If needed, type “cf.” after the name.
Note: For unknown species, select “sp.”
7. If needed, select the subspecies or variety from the drop-down list labeled “Infraspecific taxa”. Then select either “ssp.” or “var.” on the buttons to the right. If the new name is not on the list, then type it into the blank at the right. If needed, type “cf.” after the name.
8. Enter your name as the determiner using this format: “J. P. Janovec.”
9. Enter your institution acronym, e.g. “BRIT” or “MO”, in the appropriate field under “Annotation Details”. Atrium uses the institution acronym formats found in the Index Herbariorum: http://sciweb.nybg.org/science2/IndexHerbariorum.asp
10. Enter the determination date by selecting the calendar icon to the right of the “Determination Date” field and selecting the date from the calendar. Alternatively, the date can be typed into the blank using this format: year-month-date, e.g. 2004-11-01.
11. Click the “Edit Determination” button at the bottom of the page.